Monday, Sep 01st

City Utilities

City of Bolivar Water & Sewer Services

The City of Bolivar currently maintains Water & Sewer services for its citizens. Please see other Utility Providers for Cable, Electric, Gas, Sanitation, and Telephone.

Information Concerning Your Water Bill

A Utility Deposit is required prior to water service being placed into your name.  The amount of the utility deposit is determined according to the size meter serving the structure.  An account set up fee of $10.00 will appear on your first bill.


Size of Connection                       Deposit Required

< or = 1”


> 1” to 2”


> 2” to 4”


> 4”



The utility deposit will be applied to the customer’s final bill or credited to the account after 24 consecutive months in good standing for owners and 60 months for non-owners.  All water and sewer is billed on actual water consumption.

Your first utility bill will be printed on the last day of the month, due upon receipt and delinquent on the 10th of the month by 5:00 p.m.  You are required to notify the City when you are moving and want your utility service to end.

Utility bills are mailed on the last business day of each month and are considered delinquent if payment-in-full is not received at City Hall by 5:00 p.m. on the 10th of each month.  A late fee calculated as 10% of water and sewer charge will be added to the delinquent account after that time.  Water service will be interrupted if payment-in-full is not received at City Hall by 5:00 p.m. on the 20th.  A $35.00 Reconnect/Processing Fee plus late charges, a deposit if not on file, and all delinquent amounts past due must be paid to have water service re-established prior to 4:30 p.m. Requests for reconnection made after 4:30 p.m. on regular business days shall not be acted upon until the following business day and only then upon payment of all amounts past due, late charges, deposit if not on file, and the thirty five dollar ($35.00) Reconnection/Processing fee.

Please notify City Hall of any water leaks as they occur and prior to repairs being made.  City Hall may be able to assist (once in a 12 month cycle) on issuing appropriate credit for sewer on confirmed water leaks after the leak is repaired and documented.


Water Rates: 

Inside City Limits

Outside City Limits

$12.00 minimum up to 2,000 gallons plus $2.50 per 1,000 gallons

$16.50 minimum up to 2,000 gallons plus $3.38 per 1,000 gallons


Sewer Rates:

Inside City Limits

Outside City Limits

$15.00 minimum up to 2,000 gallons plus $2.75 per 1,000 gallons

$21.00 minimum up to 2,000 gallons plus $3.38 per 1,000 gallons



You can make your payment for water/sewer service in person at City Hall, 345 S. Main Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, place your payment in City Hall’s drop box located at the drive through window on the south side of City Hall, through Online Payments at, or by phone at 1-800-272-9829 (1-800-2PayTax). If mailing your payment, please allow five days for mailing.  Please make checks and money orders payable to “City of Bolivar”. If service is interrupted for non-payment then only cash or money order is accepted.



Bad Checks Requirements:

§  Immediate Service Interruptions upon receipt of NSF Check from bank.

§  $25.00 Processing Fee.

§  Reconnect/Processing Fee - see below**.

§  Cash or Money Order ONLY.




§  Payment in full of late charges and delinquent amounts that are past due.

§  Cash or Money Order ONLY.

§  Reconnect/Processing Fee – see below **.

§  A new deposit of $100.00 if one is not currently held by the City Water Department

**  Reconnect/Processing Fee shall be $35.00 and is assessed to your account at 5:00 pm on the 20th of each month.

Please do not dispose of feminine hygiene products, cooking oils and grease, paint or chemicals in the sanitary sewer system.  These items can cause serious problems and damage to the City’s sanitary sewer system.

Welcome to Bolivar, Missouri


If you are looking for the UTILITIES DEPARTMENT, they can be found in their original location at City Hall at 345 S. Main. This includes utility service, special events applications, business licenses, building permits and park reservations.

If you are looking for the COURT CLERK to pay a ticket or a fine, you will be able to find them in City Hall at 345 S. Main. They will be located on the bottom floor.

If you are looking for the POLICE DEPARTMENT, they are now located in the new Public Safety Center at 211 W. Walnut.

The FIRE DEPARTMENT has moved to the Public Safety Center at 211. W. Walnut.

The BUILDING INSPECTOR is now located in City Hall

The ADMINISTRATIVE DEPARTMENT has moved back into City Hall. City Hall is open regular business hours from 8am - 5pm. Cit Hall offices can help you with: business licenses, building permits, park reservations, special events applications, human resources, and accounts payable. Members of Administration are available by appointment only.

If you are in need of assistance, or have any questions, please call 326-2489.